Resources for educators, families, and community members designed to support people in engaging their community in conversations related to education.
RESERVED SPACE FOR NEXT DAY VIDEO HERE (Family Engagement)
Table of Contents
Why Using this Toolkit Matters
Each and every child deserves the opportunity to reach their full human potential. When people who work in schools, parents, families, caregivers and community members are partners in co-creating school environments where teachers feel supported, students receive the resources and support they need, and families feel valued and connected, our young people thrive. It takes all of us working better together to create a school community that is truly a place of belonging.
The primary objectives of this toolkit are to help teams to:
- Identify natural community partners: Engaging and involving people who have an interest in and are most impacted by an issue is essential to identify what needs to be done differently.
- Engage the community: Bringing together diverse people, organizations, and community partners provides an opportunity to build new relationships and strengthen discussions.
- Build a shared understanding of an issue impacting the community: To collaborate effectively and efficiently, community members need to understand the work ahead.
- Find new partners: Sharing information about an issue in your school and community and work that may already be happening to address it creates opportunities and connections.
- Encourage further dialogue and develop opportunities for collaboration: Creating pathways for people to contribute and building capacity to work together differently on an issue resulting in long-lasting systemic change.
About this Community Conversation Toolkit
We know that children thrive in building connections and learning in school when the adults in their lives are engaged with each other. That happens when people who work in schools, parents, families, caregivers, and community members work better together.
This toolkit was created to provide a practical guide for families, educators, and community leaders who want to improve relationships and better understand challenges that face their school community.
Toolkit Next Day Video Here
Community Conversation Toolkits
Inclusionary Practices Community Conversation Toolkit
The Inclusionary Practices Community Conversation Toolkit was developed for the Washington State Inclusionary Practices Development Project. That project is has become the Inclusionary Practices Technical Assistance Network (IPTN). The toolkit remains a resource for people and communities working on ensuring that their schools are inclusive and places of belonging.
Foundations of a Community Conversation
Add Description Here